Sunday, March 18, 2012

Official Record Release Party - Set One

Ok so by now you know much of the backstory – or at least have an introduction – to this project. My name is Trakan and I am promoting the release of my second record, Powder Kegs Beneath Dagger Trees. I have a lot of promotional material and samples and stuff on my official website.

This blog is sort of my diary – documenting reflections and memories I have about its making (which took three years), as well as its actual promotion.

To this point on the blog, you’ve met me and the band,



... and have even sat in on our dress rehearsal.

Let’s release this thing finally!

The official record release occurred on Monday, February 20 at Webster Wine Bar on Chicago’s north side, and filled every seat, I’m excited to report. We played two really fun sets – sets that included all of the new songs and (almost) all of the songs from my first release, Opening Soon Under New Management.

See this page on my website for a link to the full set-list.

Here's the stage on the evening of Monday February 20, just before "opening the doors"...


We had to squeeze all six of us into the corner to fit everyone in (below).


Don't worry though - the band swaps instruments and moves around on stage behind me, so even if our friend Rob Gaczol (who photo-documented the show) can't squeeze everyone into each shot, sooner or later Matt and Freddy will come into focus! To start, me and Roxy up front on vocals, with Claire on fiddle and Chris behind a kit that he literally had to crawl beneath to get to :)

You gettin' all this strummin' on film, Mr. Gaczol?!...


Roxy on bass for this song...


Chris on drums...


Claire on fiddle...


Freddy on banjo for this tune...


Matt on guitar (usually) when Roxy is on bass...


A primal moment for me coming... This record took three long years to write, record, produce, and package. Been waiting patiently for this. I suppose this is the closest I'll get to giving birth...


Well there you have "set one"! Thanks so much to everyone for your support. Thanks a ton to everyone at Webster Wine Bar for all your support through this process. And thanks so much to this band for being there for me these past several months! You guys rock!...


Check back soon for set two... I'll be back at some point to post photos from the rest of the show.

Meantime, take a peek at some of the artwork Veek (contributing artist to this project) had on the wall at the show back in February. (That would be Mr. Sam Cooke on the wall at my show. One of Chicago's all-time finest musicians at my show! Nice!)


Oh and some handsome gentleman showed up in a really fashion-forward and sensible ensemble for the show :) We took photos between the set.

Ok off to change clothes and get in the "zone" for the second set... come back soon to see the rest of the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment